Sossenheim (Frankfurt am Main)
Sossenheim is located in the northern part of Frankfurt-West, and forms part of the north-west border of Frankfurt am Main. To the east, the districts and communities bordering the district are Unterliederbach, Hochst, Eschborn, Schwalbach am Taunus, Sulzbach (Taunus), and Schwalbach am Taunus to the north, Rodelheim, Griesheim, and Nied to south. A large portion of Sossenheim, the Sossenheimer unterfeld, is also part of the Frankfurt green zone.
Call us now for a booking with one of our gorgeous Escort Frankfurt.
The nearby imperial city Frankfurt was a refuge for rural residents in times of hardship and war. This “Bergrecht”, however, was not for nothing for the residents of Sossenheim. Residents were required to pay an annual fee and repair the city’s fortifications using picks and shovels. They were placed under Hochst’s protection in 1438 after the treaty with Frankfurt was ended.
The Catholic Sossenheim was destroyed in the Thirty-year’s War. It was decimated at the Battle of Hochst on June 19, 1622. This battle actually took place in and around Sossenheim, and not in the Hochst region. Christian von Braunschweig, his troops, established themselves west of Sossenheim where the street name “Auf der Schanz”, is still remembered. Christian’s enemy in war, Count Tilly, advanced from Frankfurt with his troops and had the enemy troops fire at him with cannons. He won the battle.
In 1609, Sossenheim had 64 families and 320 residents. However, there were only 41 families in 1623 with about 190 people. A number of brick kilns were established in the second half of the 19th century. Because the original street village image was altered by the ring kilns, the townscape was forever changed. Barracks were used to house workers and migrants. There was alcohol consumption, fights, and stabbings. In the local dialect, this meant that the barracks were only designated for the residents of nearby villages Sossenheim Mordheim. The clay deposits began to dry up in the 1920s which eventually led to the closing of the brickworks. In 1928, Sossenheim, home to approximately 4,800 people, was incorporated into Frankfurt.
The village’s landscape changed after the Second World War. There were three large estates built: the Henry Dunant estate to the west, and the Robert Dissmann Estate to the north. To the east, the Carl Sonnenschein estate is adjacent to it. And to the south, there was an Otto-Brenner settlement. The Westpark settlement, a large settlement built on the former site of a large dairy (MoHa) was added in 1993. Since then, the population has risen to more than 15,000.